Wimmerströmska gården

Visit a bourgeois home in Västervik and take part in the story of the fascinating Stina Wimmerström and her large collection of porcelain, ceramics, clothes, furniture, embroidery and works of art.

Since 2000, Kalmar County Museum has been running a museum business in the Wimmerströmska farm, centrally located in Västervik. Who then were these Wimmerström? The most central figure is Stina Wimmerström (1907-1991) who lived here all her life and at her death in 1991 donated the Wimmerström farm to Kalmar County Museum.

Guidade visningar i sommar

Guidade visningar sker regelbundet under hela sommaren från den 26 juni till den 9 augusti. 

  • Onsdagar, 15:00 & 16:30
  • Torsdagar, 15:00 & 16:30
  • Fredagar 15:00 & 16:30

Drop in gäller. 

The show takes about an hour.

We accept a maximum of 12 people per viewing.

Tickets

100 kr per person. Swishbetalning på plats. 

Förbokad gruppvisning 

Är ni en grupp som vill ha en egen visning? Kontakta guiden Gunilla Dybvik, 070-741 52 77, för att komma överens och datum och tid. 

We accept a maximum of 12 people per viewing.

Pris: 100 kr per person, dock lägst 500 kr. Swishbetalning på plats. 

Adress

Brunnsgatan 2, Västervik

Guide

Gunilla Dybvik

Place

Wimmerströmska gården, Brunnsgatan 2, Västervik

Take a virtual visit

Visit Wimmerströmska gården on your own from a computer or mobile phone. A virtual tour gives you the opportunity to explore Wimmerströmska gården using 360 images, photos and video. You can move between the rooms while the guided tour is in progress.  

Virtual tour of Wimmerströmska gården (new window)

Today, the city is characterized by the right-angled street system, which dates to its reconstruction in 1678. Wimmerströmska gården is located in the south of Västervik's four blocks. The southern block was characterized by the fact that the plots in a medieval manner narrowed down towards the water to end in a jetty. You can still see how the farmhouse is in an oblique line down to the former water surface.

The manor house in Wimmerströmska gården was built in the 1780s-90s and is located along the city's parade street, Storgatan. The farm belonged to several outbuildings.

Two names are associated with the house, partly a man Lessle and partly a customs administrator Lybeck. Trade and crafts have been conducted in the house for all years.

In 1887, sugar baker Carl Wilhelm Wimmerström moved his patisserie to the ground floor of the house.

In 1896 he built the house along Brunnsgatan and in the ground floor there, he laid the bakery.

In 1905, the two properties were built together.

In 1906, his son Elis Wimmerström took over the café business. He ran both a café and a bakery together with his wife Rut, born Röhlander. When Elis died in 1929, Rut continued the business until 1938. The café was then run under the name Karins Café into the 1960s.

During the late 1950s and early 1960s, major changes took place in Västervik. Large parts of the central quarters were demolished. The neighboring property to Wimmerströmska gården also disappeared and with it also some of the outbuildings, which belonged to the Wimmerströmska gården.

Elis och Ruts enda dotter Stina kämpade tillsammans med sin man Bert Knutström mot rivningarna och lyckades bevara stora delar av den Wimmerströmska gården intakt

The donor Stina Wimmerström was Elis and Ruth Wimmerström's only child. She was born in 1907 and grew up in the floor that is now shown. Stina went to Västervik's girls' school but never furthered her education despite clear artistic aptitudes.

She was amused by theater and music and liked to travel to Stockholm to see her favorites Ernst Rolf, Fridolf Rudin and Karl Gerhard. She also embroidered a lot, which can be seen in all the rooms on the floor. After her mother's death, she lived on the floor with an unmarried aunt.

Stina married Bert Knutström at the age of 41 and together they often traveled to auctions in southern Sweden and bought antiques for their home.

Stina was fascinated by the 18th century, which you can see in the salon with its furniture groups.

The rooms also have furniture and memories from the Wimmerström home and from the patisserie.

The first sugar baker Fredrik Wilhelm Wimmerström came to Västervik in 1845 and started a café business in the Ideström property at Stora Torget.

The café business was later moved to the Södra kvarteret, just below Stadshotellet on Storgatan, where his son Carl Wilhelm continued. He was the one who bought the property Adam 6 and moved his business there.

He decorated the patisserie in the 18th century building with entrance from Storgatan, while the bakery was located in the building along Brunnsgatan. In 1906, the third generation Wimmerström took over the café business as Elis and his wife Ruth took over from Carl-Wilhelm. Elis moved the bakery to the farmhouse and then rented out the old bakery to his good friend baker Honeth.

In 1926, Elis made such an extensive renovation of the café premises that it was reviewed by Västerviks-Posten.

Elis died in 1929, but his wife Ruth continued to run the café business until 1938. Ruth died the following year.

Wimmerström's patisserie and café on Storgatan, well known for years, has recently had its premises undergone a thorough renovation and expansion, especially as far as the interior is concerned. The space has been particularly well utilized, which is why the floor space of the serving rooms is now significantly larger than before. On Tuesday, Västerviks-Posten had the opportunity to take a closer look at the modernized premises and found the whole thing classy, contemporary and homely. Of course, you enter from the street first into the store, which is equipped with new dishes in dark oak and glass. To the left is the ladies' room, in purple and gold and with Rococo furniture. Inside this you will find a larger room, where they cut the refraction is predominant. The furniture is in birch, kept in a discreet color tone. The door openings between all rooms have been given the shape of neatly rounded arches. Wall coverings are modern wallpaper in the latest pattern and the white ceilings have been pulled down, a circumstance that further enhances the premises' bright, happy impressions. On the other side of the shop and separated from it by a sliding door, which if necessary can be pulled for and thus close this part of the room for e.g. a closed party, the music room is located. The interior is in mahogany and here the violinist Elis Johansson with accompanist TV every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday will be responsible for the musical entertainment. On the other side of a wall of ground glass is the smoking room, which should be completely in the dark. Through a powerful fan, it is well provided for ventilation. Drawings and sketches for the transformation, the furniture and the electrical luminaire have been made by Mr. Erik Röhlander, the carpentry work has been done by the company Carl Johansson & C: o, the master painters Dahlberg and Gustafsson have been responsible for painting and the furniture has been manufactured by Carlsson's furniture workshop in Reginelund. Everyone has all the credit for their work and the owner of the patisserie is only to congratulate the pleasant premises, which in their current condition can satisfy the highest demands.

Review from Västerviks-Posten in 1926

Kvarteret Adam 6 utgjordes ursprungligen av två fastigheter med tillhörande gårdshus. Bostadshusen var byggda under perioden 1780-90 med två våningar under valmat tak.

Several of the farmhouses were built during the same period. They stretched down to the water and the piers.

Landfills have been made in batches, the last in the early 20th century. The neighboring property was demolished in the 1950s to make room for modern buildings.

The Adam neighborhood and is named after wholesaler Adam Jern (wholesale company Adam Jern & Co). Adam Jern died in 1875.

The residential building, which is located along the city's main street, Storgatan, has a 6-storey floor upstairs and in the bedroom there is still the Gustavian wall decor left together with a beautiful column tile stove.

In the lower floor, a patisserie has existed since the 1880s, but recently other businesses have taken over the premises.

Organisation Ordinary Substitute
Kalmar County Museum Örjan Molander (Chairman) Hanna Wilhelmsson
  Tobias Ahlstedt Jonas Törngård
Family representatives Malin Wimmerström Vacant
Västervik municipality Agneta Rosberg Ulf Jonsson
Kalmar County Local Government Association Hans Ålund Lisbeth Svensson
Auditor: Baks & Co in Vimmerby